15 Resources for Mobile Product Management
Product managers are advancing their skills at lightening speed, and as a result, the industry as a whole has had to level-up to compete for coveted jobs as the world’s biggest brands continue to adopt a mobile-first approach. Our community has been on the front lines in the changes to mobile product management, and as a result, has been eager for content to advance their skills.
We’ve written a lot—and I mean a LOT—of content focused around mobile product management. Between our blog and resources on the topic, it can be easy to get overwhelmed when looking for a place to start, or if you’re attempting to answer a particular question around mobile product management.
Well, you asked, and we’re happy to deliver! We’ve recently received community requests to streamline all of our mobile PM content. This post is a launch pad for our best mobile PM-focused content, broken down by topic for easy reading.
Get started with mobile product management
If you’re new to the mobile product management world, here are our favorite goodreads to help build your foundation.
- What is Mobile Product Management? | This post covers what a mobile PM looks like, the basics of mobile product management, and tips you can use to being your mobile product journey.
- The Guidebook to Mobile Product Management Success | This guidebook was created to help you set yourself, and your organization, up for mobile product management success, no matter your starting point.
Advance your skills
Looking to bump it up a notch? We’ve got a ton of content to help take your skills from basic to advanced, and to help you get that promotion or level-up your team.
- The Advanced Guide to Mobile Product Management | Created for senior product managers, this guide helps you understand what your peers are focused on, how to level up your skills, and how to get ahead in mobile.
- Build vs. Buy | In the case of software, the dilemma becomes increasingly difficult as most enterprise companies have the resources and talent in-house to build the software. It thus becomes less a matter of “Can we do it?” and more a matter of “Should we do it?”
- 10 Ways to Boost Your Mobile PM Technical Skills | Mobile PMs don’t have to start with a technical background, but in order to advance, flexing technical aptitude is a must.
Prioritize your product roadmap
Prioritizing the mobile product roadmap is priority one. These articles will help you make the best decisions for your product, no matter your starting point.
- 5 Tips to Create an Effective Mobile Product Management Dashboard | An important element of any mobile product is being able to track, measure, and report on its progress, and a product management dashboard is a great way to do so. Product dashboards exist to help you make sense of all of your data, and this post highlights strategies to set up the dashboard that’s right for you.
- Prioritize Your Mobile Product Roadmap for Retention | Trying to acquire and engage users is moot if retention isn’t a core part of your strategy. It’s like trying to fill a leaky bucket. You can keep adding water, but unless you either plug the hole or have an endless torrent in your pipeline, you’re going to be constantly scrambling to acquire more.
- How to Model Mobile ROI | This post shows you how to model ROI before your product work begins, shares tips on how to gauge ROI over time, and shows you how some of the biggest brands in the world approach mobile product ROI.
Make better data decisions
Good mobile product management practices hinge on making data-driven decisions. These posts give plenty of points to consider when selecting data to track.
- 4 Tips to Choose the Best Metrics for Your Mobile Product Dashboard | Endless amounts of data may lead to confusion around where to start when selecting metrics to track for your new mobile product. Rather than jumping right into data options you can collect, look at the problems your product is attempting to solve and how you’ll use your data learnings over time by starting with these four steps.
- 16 Metrics that Matter for Mobile Product Managers | To get a sense of what metrics matter most, we asked 100 mobile product managers who work on iOS devices (63%) and Android devices (37%) in order to learn as much as we could about the metrics they report on that they consider to be the most vital.
- 20 New Mobile Product Management Metrics | There are many types of metrics mobile PMs can monitor to tell them whether or not their product is hitting its goals. Because each product serves a specific, individual function, it’s important for mobile PMs to spend time understanding what metrics will really tell them how their product is succeeding, and to not get caught up in what type of metric monitoring has worked for other products.
- 4 Ways to Track Customer Sentiment | To get a sense of how customers feel about your brand, you must start by tracking customer sentiment. This post covers four ways to track and evaluate customer sentiment.
Learn from the experts
Of course, Apptentive isn’t the only place helping mobile PMs. Here are a few compilations of our favorite courses, blogs, and resources to help expand your skill set.
- Top iOS and Android SDKs for Mobile Product Managers | We tapped into the mobile product management community to find out what tools they rely on most by looking at apps in both the iOS and Android top charts, and added short descriptions so you can learn more. Hopefully you’ll be able to find a few new tools to implement to help your team reach your mobile goals.
- Mobile Product Manager? Here are Our Favorite Courses and Conferences | In a recent consumer survey, we asked the mobile product management community where they turn when they want to learn more about their line of work. Today’s post is a compilation of the best conferences and courses that are popular in the mobile product management community.
- 21 Best Mobile Product Management Resources | Mobile is changing rapidly, which puts an extra layer of complexity that can be difficult to navigate and stay on top off. We’ve compiled a list of the best mobile product management resources to help you step up your game.