Introducing Groups and Group Messaging
Groups and Group Messages enable you to place your customers into groups. This allows you to proactively send messages via Message Center to groups of customers who have similar interests, feedback, or questions regarding your app. These messages are delivered directly to the customer in app, and are a great way to follow up with your customers to keep them informed about the changes, fixes, and updates to your mobile app.
Creating Groups and Adding People
There are two ways to get started with Group Messages:
First, while viewing a conversation with a person, click on the “add/edit” link under “Groups” in the right hand panel. You may then add the person to a new or existing group, as well as remove the person from any existing groups that they may be a member of.
Second, click the “Groups” link from within the “Interactions” section of our website. You’ll be able to view all of the groups you have created, create new groups, and views details about specific groups.
Sending a Group Message
Once your groups are created and you’ve added customers to them, you can send a message to the group by clicking on “Group Messages” within the “Conversations” section of our website.
For each group message you send, you can select the sender, the target group, and create the message. You can give each message a title, which is not shown to customers, that will help you manage the messages that have already been sent.
When you click “Send,” the message will be immediately sent to all people currently in the group. You can click on “Sent Group Messages” to see the messages you’ve previously sent.
When using Group Messages, please be aware of the following:
- Messages are sent immediately to all members of the group and cannot be cancelled.
- Messages are only sent to members of the group at the time the message is sent– if you subsequently add a person to a group, they will not receive any previously sent messages.
- Group Messages will cause a notification (e.g. Push, Email) if you have them configured for your app.
- Group Messages will not be forwarded to external integrations if you have them configured for your app (e.g. Zendesk, UserVoice, etc.). If the customer replies to the Group Message the response will, however, be sent to these systems.
- Group Messages are supported on all versions of our SDKs that include Message Center.
We are really excited to announce the release of Groups and Group Messaging to all of our customers on a paid plan. The ability to group customers with similar interests, concerns, or questions into a single group and follow up with all them is an incredibly powerful tool. It creates a positive customer experience and helps you bring your customer support to the next level.
Following up with your customers can have a large impact on your customer base, and to show you what we mean, please read – The Power of the Follow-Up Message. If you have any questions or feedback, don’t hesitate to send us a message from within the Apptentive Dashboard or through our contact form.